If you are searching for Veterinary Technician Schools in Gloucester MA, then please continue to read this page and browse this website. We have some valuable suggestions that can help you with selecting a good veterinary technician school. Choosing the right veterinary technician school can be tricky, but the information below can help make the process easier.
Training as a Veterinary Technician in Gloucester MA
If you love animals and have a keen interest in the veterinary field, then you should consider becoming a veterinary technician. This is an exciting and rewarding job with a positive job market outlook. Several veterinary technician schools offer training programs which last from one to two years and result in an associate’s degree. To become a Veterinarian Technologist, a 4-year bachelor’s degree is required. Depending on the state, a Vet Tech will take an exam to become credentialed, registered, certified or licensed.
If you are interested in pursuing a diploma or degree course at credentialed veterinary technician schools, try to take classes and courses in chemistry, biology and mathematics in high school. You can also take a class or two at a local junior college. These courses serve as helpful prerequisites.
There are several credentialed institutes and schools which offer veterinary technician training programs in Gloucester MA. A few community colleges also offer similar programs. You can enroll in these programs when you have passed high school. A one to two year training program, can earn a veterinary technician certificate or diploma. Training programs that last two years, can result in an associates degree. It must be mentioned that training as a veterinary technician is not mandatory in most US states. Still, it is recommended, because there are some employers who prefer to hire trained veterinary technicians.
During your training, you will be given knowledge of veterinary physiology and anatomy, veterinary technology, animal handling and nursing, animal diseases and animal nutrition. You will also have to take up courses related to radiography, lab techniques, anesthesia, surgical techniques and office practices.
The American Veterinary Medical Association or AVMA accredits training programs offered by different veterinary technician schools. If you enroll in one of these, you will be given an internship opportunity at an animal clinic or hospital where you can sharpen your practical skills.
Vet Tech Pay
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median rate of pay for a Veterinary Tech was 2010 is $29,710 per year and $14.25 per hour. Due to increasing demand for Vet Tech jobs in the next decade, the rate may also be increasing.
Veterinary Technician Schools in Massachusetts
New England Institute of Technology is a private, non-profit, co-educational technical university offering over 50 Associate in Science, Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree programs. As a leader in technical career education in southern New England, New England Institute of Technology (also known as New England Tech or NEIT) is committed to providing hands-on technological programs that prepare graduates for positions of leadership in the technical, industrial, business, and allied health communities. Most of our associate degree programs can be completed in as little as 18 months, and bachelor’s degree programs in as little as three years. Last year, over 3,000 students chose New England Tech for the hands-on laboratory and classroom training that provides the necessary skills to begin their technical careers.
- AS - Animal and Veterinary Management
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Dental Assistant
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- Clinical Medical Assistant-CERT
- Medical Assistant-AS
There are some firms which prefer to hire certified veterinary technicians. Certification is not an essential requirement but is still recommended because it indicates your proficiency as a veterinary technician. You can either obtain the general veterinary technician certification by passing the Veterinary Technician National Examination or acquire specialized certification in various fields such as veterinary nutrition, equine nursing, veterinary behavior and internal medicine. You will have to pass relevant examinations for specialized certification as well. You will be eligible for certification only if you are 18 or above.
When your basic training has been completed you can switch to other industries, which are suitable for veterinary technicians by increasing your qualifications or experience. For instance, you can opt for becoming an assistant veterinary technician school teacher or you can start your job as an administrative medical assistant.
Roles Vet Techs Provide
The role of a veterinary technician varies with education, industry and employer.
In general, as a Vet Tech you will have to provide emergency first aid to injured animals or nursing care to ill pets. You will also have to do administrative duties, give medications and inject vaccines as the veterinarian guides you. In some organizations, you may be asked to do lab tasks as well such as collecting samples and performing tests on them. Other duties include taking and developing x-rays, administrating anesthesia, setting up surgical instruments, preparing the animals for treatment and recording medical history and cases of the animals.
Many veterinarians are now utilizing electronic heath software packages for recording patient history. You must learn to use these applications because many employers expect veterinary technicians to be familiar with them and also assign them relevant tasks.
As of now, many veterinary technicians who are employed at large firms have to perform clinical and administrative jobs. They may also have to do additional duties such as ordering supplies and purchasing equipment if they are serving the position of administrative veterinary technicians.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are a large number of opportunities for veterinary technicians, and vet tech jobs are expected to grow by 52% from 2010 to 2020. This positive job outlook is far beyond the average for most occupations. Many vets are increasing their business and will have to hire more veterinary technologists, especially in rural areas.
What to Know About Becoming a Vet Technician
If you are interested in working as a veterinary technician, you must possess good analytical and interpersonal skills. This is because you will have to understand medical records and diagnosis, collaborate with other staff members and deal with a variety of patients. You must also possess qualities like compassion, kindness and patience because the pets and their owners will often need it.
Even when your education is complete and you have received all possible certifications, you can improve your job prospects. For instance, try to tend to as many animals as possible. Try to offer your services to the local clinics, hospitals, or the zoos. This voluntary work will help you in understanding your duties and will improve your practical skills. You will also learn how to respond in critical circumstances. Additionally, maintain your educational sprint and keep improving your qualifications either by enrolling yourself in another degree or registering for a certificate course.
Did you get any useful ideas from the article? If you did, please feel free to share the article with your family and friends who live in Gloucester MA. You just never know when they might be looking for Vet Tech Assistant Schools in Gloucester MA.
Veterinary Technician Schools Gloucester MA reviewed by Angela Perry.
This is a Super Website!
“This website has been such a helpful resource for me. I requested information from three different schools and learned that I could apply for scholarships- very cool!”