If you are searching for Veterinary Technician Schools in Colorado Springs CO, then please continue to read this page and browse this website. We have some valuable suggestions that can help you with selecting a good veterinary technician school. Choosing the right veterinary technician school can be tricky, but the information below can help make the process easier.
Training as a Veterinary Technician in Colorado Springs CO
If you love animals and have a keen interest in the veterinary field, then you should consider becoming a veterinary technician. This is an exciting and rewarding job with a positive job market outlook. Several veterinary technician schools offer training programs which last from one to two years and result in an associate’s degree. To become a Veterinarian Technologist, a 4-year bachelor’s degree is required. Depending on the state, a Vet Tech will take an exam to become credentialed, registered, certified or licensed.
Qualifications for a Veterinary Technician
If you are interested in pursuing a diploma or degree course at credentialed veterinary technician schools, try to take classes and courses in chemistry, biology and mathematics in high school. You can also take a class or two at a local junior college. These courses serve as helpful prerequisites.
Training to become a Vet Tech
There are several credentialed institutes and schools which offer veterinary technician training programs in Colorado Springs CO. A few community colleges also offer similar programs. You can enroll in these programs when you have passed high school. A one to two year training program, can earn a veterinary technician certificate or diploma. Training programs that last two years, can result in an associates degree. It must be mentioned that training as a veterinary technician is not mandatory in most US states. Still, it is recommended, because there are some employers who prefer to hire trained veterinary technicians.
During your training, you will be given knowledge of veterinary physiology and anatomy, veterinary technology, animal handling and nursing, animal diseases and animal nutrition. You will also have to take up courses related to radiography, lab techniques, anesthesia, surgical techniques and office practices.
The American Veterinary Medical Association or AVMA accredits training programs offered by different veterinary technician schools. If you enroll in one of these, you will be given an internship opportunity at an animal clinic or hospital where you can sharpen your practical skills.
Veterinary Technician Pay
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median rate of pay for a Veterinary Tech was 2010 is $29,710 per year and $14.25 per hour. Due to increasing demand for Vet Tech jobs in the next decade, the rate may also be increasing.
Veterinary Technician Schools in Colorado
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Aministration - Healthcare Administration
- Earn your Bachelor of Science in Public Health - 100% online
- Learn about controlling infectious disease, improving healthcare access, and more
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Master of Public Health
- BS in Public Health
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
Are you un-employed, under-employed or looking for a stable career where you can make a real difference? Well then, you have come to the right place.
At locally-owned and nationally accredited IBMC College, you can train for a rewarding, new career, all in as little as 6-23 months! With nearly 20 program options to choose from, at nearby campuses, you will find the path that is just the right fit for you.
- Diploma-Medical Assisting
Take your career to the next step with IntelliTec College. We offer programs for careers in the business, computer, healthcare, beauty & personal appearance, technical trades and exercise & wellness fields at our three campuses in Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and Grand Junction, Colorado.
- Dental Assistant (Grand Junction)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Adult Gerontology Practitioner Certificate
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in CollegeAmerica is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Medical Specialties (AOS)
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Nursing - Master's
There are some firms which prefer to hire certified veterinary technicians. Certification is not an essential requirement but is still recommended because it indicates your proficiency as a veterinary technician. You can either obtain the general veterinary technician certification by passing the Veterinary Technician National Examination or acquire specialized certification in various fields such as veterinary nutrition, equine nursing, veterinary behavior and internal medicine. You will have to pass relevant examinations for specialized certification as well. You will be eligible for certification only if you are 18 or above.
When your basic training has been completed you can switch to other industries, which are suitable for veterinary technicians by increasing your qualifications or experience. For instance, you can opt for becoming an assistant veterinary technician school teacher or you can start your job as an administrative medical assistant.
Roles Vet Techs Provide
The role of a veterinary technician varies with education, industry and employer.
In general, as a Vet Tech you will have to provide emergency first aid to injured animals or nursing care to ill pets. You will also have to do administrative duties, give medications and inject vaccines as the veterinarian guides you. In some organizations, you may be asked to do lab tasks as well such as collecting samples and performing tests on them. Other duties include taking and developing x-rays, administrating anesthesia, setting up surgical instruments, preparing the animals for treatment and recording medical history and cases of the animals.
Many veterinarians are now utilizing electronic heath software packages for recording patient history. You must learn to use these applications because many employers expect veterinary technicians to be familiar with them and also assign them relevant tasks.
As of now, many veterinary technicians who are employed at large firms have to perform clinical and administrative jobs. They may also have to do additional duties such as ordering supplies and purchasing equipment if they are serving the position of administrative veterinary technicians.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are a large number of opportunities for veterinary technicians, and vet tech jobs are expected to grow by 52% from 2010 to 2020. This positive job outlook is far beyond the average for most occupations. Many vets are increasing their business and will have to hire more veterinary technologists, especially in rural areas.
What to Know About Becoming a Vet Technician
If you are interested in working as a veterinary technician, you must possess good analytical and interpersonal skills. This is because you will have to understand medical records and diagnosis, collaborate with other staff members and deal with a variety of patients. You must also possess qualities like compassion, kindness and patience because the pets and their owners will often need it.
When you first step into your professional life, you may it find it difficult and even frightening. Considering the journalism career, a reporter may not be able to give a news report properly, but it would not hurt anyone in the physical sense. So you need to be extremely careful because a veterinary technician’s mistake might be the end of the world for a living creature. Veterinary technician is an occupation which requires an adequate amount of experience. This is just the reason why you cannot expect to find a perfect job opportunity as soon as you are done with your exams. Just concentrate on getting as much experience as you can. You should avail volunteer veterinary programs at governmental and private clinics and hospitals. Similar missions are carried out in developing countries as well, and you can utilize them to your advantage if you want. There will also be some that ask for experience in the beginning, but if you try your luck, you might actually be hired.
Did you get any useful ideas from the article? If you did, please feel free to share the article with your family and friends who live in Colorado Springs CO. You just never know when they might be looking for Vet Tech Assistant Schools in Colorado Springs CO.
Veterinary Technician Schools Colorado Springs CO reviewed by Jeffrey Smith.
This is a Super Website!
“This website has been such a helpful resource for me. I requested information from three different schools and learned that I could apply for scholarships- very cool!”